Wednesday, October 14, 2009

TIP: Our dinner roll reheating secret

Ok, so the other night I found a ziploc bag in the freezer of from-scratch crescent rolls that Heather made several months ago. I wanted to heat them up to go with our soup, but who likes the flavor of "freezer burnt" leftover rolls? Suddenly I remember a tip that my Dad SWEARS by.
My Dad used to buy these rolls from Vior's Italian Bakery in Santa Barbara by the gross. We ate them all the time, and we always had these rolls in the freezer. To reheat them and give them that fresh baked taste, he would take a paper grocery bag, put as many rolls as he wanted to warm in it, roll the bag down to close it, and douse the bag with water (just a few quick passes under the faucet.) He then put the bag into a 350 oven for 10-15 minutes. The rolls would be nice and soft on the inside and lightly crispy on the outside. The rolls taste totally fresh baked. AMAZING!
So, the next time you make a ton of dinner rolls such as at Thanksgiving, freeze them and remember this tip to reheat them months later for that fresh baked taste!!

One more thing to remember, try not to let the bag touch the sides, top or bottom of the oven. . . you don't want it to catch fire. That's what the water is designed to help prevent, but still, be careful!!! :-)

6 comments:

  1. This is the method I've used for years as well. Seems to work quite satisfactorily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it tonight, and it worked great! Thank you for sharing it with us. Keep spreading the love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. do the rolls need to be thawed

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am amazed by all the things my Mom told me that I initially ignored but are now popping up as "great" ideas. Should have listened to her even more than I did!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom always reheated dinner rolls with the paper bag method. Probably best to thaw first if frozen...

    ReplyDelete