Saturday, November 7, 2009

My Mom's Easy Baked Beans

This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled if you wish to make more for a large crowd. You will just need a bigger pot. My mom always told me that this recipe works best in a heavy cast iron pot, or "earthenware" pot, but I think most any type of oven safe pot will do. This "earthenware" pot she refers to is a glazed fired clay pot which I believe she found in San Francisco, and the texture of the beans always turned out phenomenal (not too runny, not to hard). Whenever my 6 brothers and sisters and I would come home, or for most any gathering, my mom would always serve ham, these beans, green peas, and rolls. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

3 large cans Pork and Beans (my mom always uses Van Camp's)
1 lb. bacon (uncooked)
3 cups brown sugar, divided
3 Tablespoons Dry Yellow Coleman's Mustard
1-1/2 cups Ketchup

Rub the inside of bean pot with bacon (to prevent sticking). Pour one can of beans in pot. Mix 1 cup of the brown sugar with 1 Tablespoon of the mustard. Spread over beans. Repeat layers of beans and mustard/sugar mixture twice. Chop bacon and sprinkle over beans, finishing with ketchup layer on top. Bake at 325 for 2 to 3 hours, or until you get the consistency that you like. My mom always reminds me to never short sugar, mustard, or time!!!

Source: Marion Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment