Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Traditional Haws Family "Sugar n' Cinnamon Cereal"


In my (Aaron's) family, there has always been a tradition:  "Sugar n' Cinnamon cereal."  It is a simple concoction consisting of Cream of Wheat, sugar, and cinnamon, spread on a plate.  My mom loved Cream of Wheat when she was little, and so my Grandma would make it often.  However, my mom didn't like that it took forever to cool.  So, my genius Grandma spread it on a plate so it would cool faster.  Thus the tradition was born!  My mom made it for me, and I loved sprinkling cinnamon and sugar over the whole thing.  The sugar melts into this yummy liquid "goo" over the surface, and it is sooooo good!  You just simply eat the cereal in a "spiral" starting from the outside because it cools faster on the edges.  I love the fact that I have now passed this tradition on to our kids!  So, the next time you make plain Cream of Wheat, try it this way!  It just may become your new favorite!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. My grandma would do the same thing for me! I didn't know the story behind it though! I am sure that is where she learned it! It is the only way I will eat cream of wheat! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete